To main content


Emergency response

Call SMIT 24/7 at
+31 10 454 99 11

Help us to help you.
Keep the following information at hand when you contact us in case of an emergency:
Initial info:
What? Where? When?

Type and cause of accident:
Fire – collision - grounding

Known damage:
What is the known damage? Where is it located?

Contact details:
Which contact details can we use at all times?

On the 23rd of December the product tanker ‘Silver’ (6,672 DWT), loaded with 4,900Mt of HFO, ran aground on the rocks near the breakwaters of Tantan port, Morocco. After several initial refloating attempts by local tugs were unsuccessful, SMIT Salvage was contracted on a LOF basis on the 25th of December to render assistance through the immediate mobilization of tugs, equipment and a salvage team. Meanwhile, the vessel was lifted higher on the rocks by heavy swells, which left her at a distance of 75 m off the coastline, parallel to high cliffs. The crew on board noted water ingress in several ballast tanks and a small sheen of oil was observed.

At short notice SMIT mobilized the Fairmount Glacier, a large team of SMIT Salvage experts, plus an additional contingent of oil pollution prevention experts, who arrived on the 25th and 26th of December. Shortly thereafter, 30t of salvage equipment arrived from Rotterdam on two chartered Antonov flights. Helicopters safely transported personnel and equipment to the scene.

Upon arrival, the salvage crew started inspections and preparations to prevent any further oil spillage and for salving the vessel.

A sophisticated lightering and refloating plan was presented and approved by the local authorities. First of all, the cargo and bunkers were transferred to shore by an installed cable way and hoses. In parallel, the vessel was prepared for refloating by reinstating the damaged hull by carrying out temporary repairs. Due to shallow water the chartered tugs required for the refloat could not come closer than approximately 1.5Nm. Therefore, a record length of 2,132 m of Dyneema towing wire was connected between the leading tug ‘Union Sovereign’ and the ‘Silver’ using helicopters. At high tide and whilst deballasting, the vessel was turned 90° heading towards sea initially, and thereafter she was successfully refloated and towed to open sea. Despite rough weather the vessel was kept safely offshore and then she proceeded to a sheltered location south of the Canary Islands.

After a diving inspection, the authorities of Gran Canaria granted permission for the vessel to enter Las Palmas. The vessel was then redelivered to the owners and she subsequently entered dry dock for repairs.

Related projects

Selected filters

Mariolina de Carlini

On the 30th of October 2013 the bulk carrier ‘Mariolina de Carlini’, 87,734 DWT, ran aground just outside Freetown, Sierra Leone. The vessel was fully laden with iron ore and grounded on the rocks.


Kiani Satu

On the 8th of August, general cargo vessel 'Kianu Satu', 17,796 DWT, ran aground at Buffels Bay, South Africa. The vessel had experienced engine trouble and consecutively broke loose from an emergency tow. Heavy weather and waves caused the vessel to run hard aground and the crew was taken off shortly afterwards.


NOMO wrecks

SMIT Salvage was awarded the contract for the removal of two very old wrecks in the Dutch section of the North Sea by Rijkswaterstaat, which is part of the Dutch Ministry of Infrastructure and Environment.


Hansa Brandenburg

Whilst transiting from Singapore to Durban, South Africa, the container vessel 'Hansa Brandenburg', 1,740TEU, caught fire on the 15th of July near Mauritius. The crew evacuated and was safely rescued by an attending vessel nearby.


Baru Satu

On the 4th of July near the Bay of Eleusis, Greece, the bulk carrier 'Baru Satu', 16,190 DWT, laden with sugar, struck the 28,711 DWT bulk carrier 'Katherine' amidships in a so-called ‘T-bone’ collision.


MOL Comfort

On the 17th of June 2013, the container vessel 'MOL Comfort', 8,110 TEU, suffered a crack amidships during bad weather. The vessel was underway from Singapore to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia when the incident happened about 200Nm off the coast of Yemen (mid Indian Ocean/Arabic Sea). After the structural failure, the ship broke in two. Both sections remained afloat with the majority of the cargo intact and began drifting in an East North Easterly direction.