To main content

Full City

Emergency response

Call SMIT 24/7 at
+31 10 454 99 11

Help us to help you.
Keep the following information at hand when you contact us in case of an emergency:
Initial info:
What? Where? When?

Type and cause of accident:
Fire – collision - grounding

Known damage:
What is the known damage? Where is it located?

Contact details:
Which contact details can we use at all times?

On Thursday evening 30 July 2009 bulk carrier ‘Full City', 26,758 DWT (in ballast and at anchor off the port of Langesund, Norway, awaiting her berth) was trapped in a sudden storm, causing her anchor to drag, and came to rest on the rocks.

The engine room flooded and the double bottom fuel oil tanks breached which resulted in a major spill. Subsequently, the Norwegian Coastal Administration (NCA) mobilised all available crafts, oil barriers/ booms and anti-pollution equipment in order to battle the pollution.

SMIT Salvage contracted by owners
In the early morning of Friday 31 July, SMIT Salvage was contracted by the owners under a Lloyd's Open Form 2000 Scopic contract. SMIT's Norwegian partner tug and salvage company Buksér og Berging (B&B) was taken on as subcontractor. SMIT and B&B have a longstanding relationship and worked together on several projects such as the ‘Rockness' and most recently in December 2008 the ‘Crete Cement'.

A salvage team from Rotterdam was immediately mobilised by charter plane, arriving on-site on Friday afternoon. The most essential salvage, pumping and fuel oil recovery equipment was airlifted as well. In the meantime, SMIT and B&B mobilised the DSV ‘BIG', tugs and a tank barge, while the NCA kept on site Coastguard vessel ‘Nornen' and tug ‘Balder'. Salvage operationThe salvage team recovered all remaining heavy fuel oils and other pollutants out of the holds and tanks by means of skimming and pumping. The recovered pollutants were transported to shore and disposed of. Following this, the damaged holds could be repaired. The vessel was then de-ballasted in preparation for a refloating attempt. With the assistance of three B&B tugs, the vessel was successfully refloated in the morning of Monday 17 August. Accordingly, SMIT Salvage towed the ‘Full City' to a more sheltered, deep-water NATO jetty at a distance of approximately nine miles from the grounding site. Upon arrival, in the late afternoon, the salvage team performed a final diving survey after which the vessel was redelivered to the owners.

Related projects

Selected filters

Salvage of the Modern Express

The Modern Express, a 164-meter-long Roll-on/Roll-off vessel, was en route to Le Havre in France on 26 January 2016 in heavy weather when she lost stability. She was left adrift 150 nautical miles off the Spanish coast in the Bay of Biscay. The 22 crew members had already been successfully evacuated by the Spanish coastguard. 


Spar Draco

The 'Spar Draco' (53,565 DWT), loaded with 50,520Mt of wheat, ran aground and damaged its rudder whilst approaching Chittagong Anchorage “A” on the 8th of June.



On the 6th of May the Ro-Ro Vessel ‘Altinia’, carrying military equipment (8,924 DWT, LOA: 150m), suffered an engine room fire about 100Nm SE off the coast of Yemen. The crew abandoned ship and was safely picked up by a passing vessel.


Fei He

In the evening of the 29th of January, the arriving fully loaded containership 'Fei He' collided with the departing chemical tanker 'Lime Galaxy' approximately 2.7 km south of Jurong Island, Singapore. The collision resulted in one of Fei He’s bunker tanks sustaining damage, which led to some bunker fuel being spilt.



On the 23rd of December the product tanker ‘Silver’ (6,672 DWT), loaded with 4,900Mt of HFO, ran aground on the rocks near the breakwaters of Tantan port, Morocco. After several initial refloating attempts by local tugs were unsuccessful, SMIT Salvage was contracted on a LOF basis on the 25th of December to render assistance through the immediate mobilization of tugs, equipment and a salvage team. Meanwhile, the vessel was lifted higher on the rocks by heavy swells, which left her at a distance of 75 m off the coastline, parallel to high cliffs. The crew on board noted water ingress in several ballast tanks and a small sheen of oil was observed.