To main content

Full City

Emergency response

Call SMIT 24/7 at
+31 10 454 99 11

Help us to help you.
Keep the following information at hand when you contact us in case of an emergency:
Initial info:
What? Where? When?

Type and cause of accident:
Fire – collision - grounding

Known damage:
What is the known damage? Where is it located?

Contact details:
Which contact details can we use at all times?

On Thursday evening 30 July 2009 bulk carrier ‘Full City', 26,758 DWT (in ballast and at anchor off the port of Langesund, Norway, awaiting her berth) was trapped in a sudden storm, causing her anchor to drag, and came to rest on the rocks.

The engine room flooded and the double bottom fuel oil tanks breached which resulted in a major spill. Subsequently, the Norwegian Coastal Administration (NCA) mobilised all available crafts, oil barriers/ booms and anti-pollution equipment in order to battle the pollution.

SMIT Salvage contracted by owners
In the early morning of Friday 31 July, SMIT Salvage was contracted by the owners under a Lloyd's Open Form 2000 Scopic contract. SMIT's Norwegian partner tug and salvage company Buksér og Berging (B&B) was taken on as subcontractor. SMIT and B&B have a longstanding relationship and worked together on several projects such as the ‘Rockness' and most recently in December 2008 the ‘Crete Cement'.

A salvage team from Rotterdam was immediately mobilised by charter plane, arriving on-site on Friday afternoon. The most essential salvage, pumping and fuel oil recovery equipment was airlifted as well. In the meantime, SMIT and B&B mobilised the DSV ‘BIG', tugs and a tank barge, while the NCA kept on site Coastguard vessel ‘Nornen' and tug ‘Balder'. Salvage operationThe salvage team recovered all remaining heavy fuel oils and other pollutants out of the holds and tanks by means of skimming and pumping. The recovered pollutants were transported to shore and disposed of. Following this, the damaged holds could be repaired. The vessel was then de-ballasted in preparation for a refloating attempt. With the assistance of three B&B tugs, the vessel was successfully refloated in the morning of Monday 17 August. Accordingly, SMIT Salvage towed the ‘Full City' to a more sheltered, deep-water NATO jetty at a distance of approximately nine miles from the grounding site. Upon arrival, in the late afternoon, the salvage team performed a final diving survey after which the vessel was redelivered to the owners.

Related projects

Selected filters

Mariolina de Carlini

On the 30th of October 2013 the bulk carrier ‘Mariolina de Carlini’, 87,734 DWT, ran aground just outside Freetown, Sierra Leone. The vessel was fully laden with iron ore and grounded on the rocks.


Kiani Satu

On the 8th of August, general cargo vessel 'Kianu Satu', 17,796 DWT, ran aground at Buffels Bay, South Africa. The vessel had experienced engine trouble and consecutively broke loose from an emergency tow. Heavy weather and waves caused the vessel to run hard aground and the crew was taken off shortly afterwards.


NOMO wrecks

SMIT Salvage was awarded the contract for the removal of two very old wrecks in the Dutch section of the North Sea by Rijkswaterstaat, which is part of the Dutch Ministry of Infrastructure and Environment.


Hansa Brandenburg

Whilst transiting from Singapore to Durban, South Africa, the container vessel 'Hansa Brandenburg', 1,740TEU, caught fire on the 15th of July near Mauritius. The crew evacuated and was safely rescued by an attending vessel nearby.


Baru Satu

On the 4th of July near the Bay of Eleusis, Greece, the bulk carrier 'Baru Satu', 16,190 DWT, laden with sugar, struck the 28,711 DWT bulk carrier 'Katherine' amidships in a so-called ‘T-bone’ collision.


MOL Comfort

On the 17th of June 2013, the container vessel 'MOL Comfort', 8,110 TEU, suffered a crack amidships during bad weather. The vessel was underway from Singapore to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia when the incident happened about 200Nm off the coast of Yemen (mid Indian Ocean/Arabic Sea). After the structural failure, the ship broke in two. Both sections remained afloat with the majority of the cargo intact and began drifting in an East North Easterly direction.